The statue stands in honour of all seafarers who lost their lives in the sea, located at the place where the mansions of the Embirikos family were built. During the Second World War, in September 1943, the Germans bombarded the Italian Guard of Andros. The buildings are crushed and the family of Embirikos donates the area to the Municipality of Andros.
Several years later, it is decided in the area to create the present square, which will bring a monument dedicated to sailors who did not ?come back.? Architect LK Kriezis undertakes the design of the square that has been completed by 1958. The Unknown Sailor gets flesh and bones from the sculptor Michael Tompros with the copper as the base material. The statue is a donation of the Goulandris family.
The Unknown Sailor was placed on his marble pedestal in 1959. The municipality of Andros, with constant letters, insistently demanded the king?s presence in the unveiling. The Mayor Evangelos Dertouzos receives a letter informing him of the date of the king?s visit to Andros. They start preparations for more than 100 distinguished guests, with city decorations and fireworks. On November 5, 1959, the Unknown Sailor was unveiled in a festive atmosphere covered by state television. A concert took place at the Municipal Theater by artists of the Greek Opera and a great party.
The Unknown Sailor stood firm in time until April 30, 2001. A powerful wind threw him down clutching him to the marbles of the square. Based on Sculptor old drawings and after necessary repair, he was back in place. A legendary statue, a visitor attraction, a trademark, a classic spot for a commemorative photo for all visitors and residents of the island.